Friday, March 19, 2010

Keep Safe by Maude Dominique


I ran so hard as my mother told me to, ran till my lungs burst but I couldn’t make my body move fast enough. My legs seemed to move slower and slower as I heard my mother Janette screaming for help. I felt sorry for her, I just wanted to go back to help her escape. She promised me that this time we were going to run away and live by ourselves. I heard the arguing and glass breaking on the background.

“You can’t help yourself, you should go for help” Janette screaming.

“No I can help myself, I just need some time,” my father yelled.

“That is the same thing you always say when we fight.

“I can help myself, give me some time”

“Aren’t you tired of drinking?” asked Janette.

I heard the echo of slapping from my distance. I watched as my mother tore through the door and started the car. I ran to the road, my legs ached as I hopped in and we drove away. Mom always told me to put on my seat belt so I did, noticing that mom had not, but she was crying, so I remained silent. As we turned onto the highway she used her sleeve to wipe her eyes. When she looked up, the car was lit by the lights of a transports high beams. She swerved, and I heard the noise vibrate through my ears as I woke up in a cold sweat.

I was dreaming the very same accident that my mother and I had. My eyes were full of tears. It was the most horrible dream I ever had. Seeing my mother dying again made me don’t want to go back to sleep, I was afraid having the dream again. Nick started to toss and turn, he as he heard me crying.

“Melissa shut up! I’m trying to sleep here, Jeeez”

I’m happy when I dream about my mother but not the dream that I had, I hate to see her dying. It makes me miss her more. I think about her everyday, I wish I could take that day back and ask her to put her seat belt on. My family and friends are always suggesting me to move on and live like everybody else. I do always pretend that everything is ok with me, which is apparently not.

Nick reminds me of my dad except Nick does not have a drinking problem but he is a little bit abusive. We sometimes have fights but it goes by. Constantly, I think Nick will change someday which I have to give him some time.

“Good morning honey” Nick said in a good mood.

“Morning Nick, sorry for last night” I said back.

“Oh, it’s ok. Can you please make me a cup of coffee?” he said, kissing me on my forehead.

“Yes sure” I said.

I walked towards the coffee maker and poured a cup of coffee for Nick and me.

“Nick! Do you want breakfast?” I screamed.

“No thanks. I will pick up something on my way to work.” He said.

“Ok.”

“By the way I won’t be here for supper. Order something for yourself” he handed the money to me.

Nick is working in an accounting firm he sometimes came home late. He works so hard to support me. I have no job but I did apply some jobs I just stay home and wait them to call. I had quit my last job, they thought I was depressed or something. Nick and my friends took me to the hospital and the Doctor gave me depression pills that I didn’t take them at all. I just stayed home watch movies, clean, read, go to the Internet and call friends. I only went out when we need something or go shopping with friends.

The phone rang and I ran toward it. I don’t know who would call but I still answered it. I wonder who it was.

“Hello” I answered.

It was Alison she was calling from work.

“Hi, how are you?” She began to talk.

“I’m fine thanks. What makes you call me?” I asked.

“Well Melissa you know what friends do right? They got their friend’s back. It’s not that I’m trying to ruin your relationship with Nick but I saw him with some other girl this morning in a restaurant they were eating breakfast. I was going to pick up coffee and something to eat but I kept walking. I didn’t want Nick to see me. Please say you didn’t hear me from this.” Alison said.

I felt humiliated, I felt like crying but I made it stop by saying myself “why would I cry it’s just a guy?”

“Really, did you recognize the girl? Do you know her? What does she look like?” The words came out which I didn’t want to say them.

“No I don’t know her. I only saw her from the back, she’s a blond.” Alison replied.

“I am so out of here tonight. I will start packing now before Nick comes home from work. I will call you later.” I said to Alison.

“Alright Melissa, be careful ok. Try not to have a fight with Nick, call the cops if he touches you. Don’t be fallen sorry about him. If you need a place to stay come to my apartment, I will make you a room.” She said.

I hang up the phone and run upstairs to get a suitcase and pack my stuff. I have to do this before Nick comes home because we both know we are going to have a fight if I talk about this blonde girl to him. It would be better to not say a word and get out. I have enough of him, enough of the fights and waiting him to be changed.

I heard the door slamming. I didn’t have time to run away. I was going to do the same thing what my mother had done but safely.

“Melissa, I’m home.” He called on the background.

“What’s all this?” He asked.

He stared at the suitcase lying on the front porch door. I started to shake because of Nick I felt like he was going to hit something or me.

“I’m leaving Nick, I can’t do this anymore. There is no way this relationship is going to further, we always have fights and I heard something. I heard that you were having breakfast with some other girl in a restaurant this morning. That’s why you didn’t want me to make you breakfast?” I said to him.

He grabs me on my two shoulders really hard and shakes me and says “You are not leaving me! You’re not going anywhere.”

I was crying so hard. He pulls my hair and drags me to the doorway where my suitcase was and says, “unpack right now or else it’s going to be worst.

I had planned to call Alison and ask her to call the cops for me when Nick is in a deep sleep. Nick and I went to bed. I faced the wall and asked me to face to him I didn’t want to but I had no choice. I knew he would’ve done something to me if I didn’t listen to him. I turned around and he started to apologize.

“I’m sorry honey for how I reacted today. It won’t happen again.” He said.

“Ok” I said.

“Good night.” He said.

“Good night. “I said back.

I pretend like I accepted his apology but I didn’t. I was going to do the same thing tomorrow when he goes back to work. I was going to run away. He finally fell asleep I pretended to cough really hard to see if he was really sleeping. He didn’t move at all. I moved really slowly to not feel me going downstairs.

I grabbed the phone and started to dial Alison’s phone number, I heard him screaming my name and ran downstairs.

“What are you doing?” He said.

“Nothing I was going to try call Alison, we were going to go shopping together tomorrow.” I said.

“In the middle of the night?”

“I can’t trust you. You were going to call her to ask her for help right? Now you will make me not going to work tomorrow, I will stay here with you to make sure you’re not leaving the house.”He said.

“Now let’s go to sleep”

I follow him to the room and sleep. We woke up in the morning at the same time and for once he was making me breakfast. We just stayed home and barely talked the whole day. At the end of the day I have planned to go to the store and get something that wasn’t in the house so I can ask someone in the store to call the cops for me.

“Hey Nick, let’s go buy some popcorns and we’ll watch a movie” I said to him.

“Ok then let’s go,” He said.

We get dress and go to the car. I put on my seat belt on but Nick didn’t, I didn’t say something, just sit there silently As we drove by he asked me what we would watch tonight. I only said a scary movie. On the middle of the road I could recognize my dead mother standing there. I thought I was the only one seeing her but Nick did really saw her too. There was a truck coming towards us a bright light. It happened the same accident as my mother and I had. The very same accident. I felt like my mom was trying to help me.

Nick had a surgery that he couldn’t make it. I had the house by myself. I soon started to work and had a better life. I didn’t want anyone to step in my life anymore; I want to be single forever. I don’t want to go back that routine we had Nick and me. I want to live all by myself and I know I can do it and I can support myself.

No comments: